PLEASE READ THIS FIRST if this is your first visit (or if it's been a while since you've been here).

MY POSTINGS begin following these introductory remarks. Many of these postings first appeared in our local newspaper, the "England Democrat."

THANKS! Come back soon. (Or better yet, subscribe by clicking on the icon to the right.)

"A PERSPECTIVE ON PERSPECTIVES - THOUGHTS ON THOUGHTS"

I know the title of the post sounds redundant if not just silly ... but bear with me.


Long ago, Mark Twain said, "It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts!" Well, in a sense, I tried to "learn it all." I'm in my fifties and have earned five academic degrees. And, you know what? I don't know much. I know a little about almost everything, but not a whole lot about anything.

What I do know I will share on this blog.
I'll try to post once a week.

Thanks for reading.

This is just one pastor's perspective.

Rick Hyde
Pastor
First Baptist Church
England, Arkansas
rickhyde1@hotmail.com

More at http://www.englandfbc.org/.
Click on the "Pastor's Pages" tab.

Monday, August 11, 2008

“A PERSPECTIVE ON SUMMERTIME ACTIVITIES - THOUGHTS ON GETTING READY TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL”

Although the calendar says that summer ends officially on September 21, kids know that it really ends the day school starts. (And so do educators, which leads me to the point of this column.)

On Sunday night, August 24, at 6:00 p.m., England First Baptist Church will host our second annual “Skool Daze” Celebration honoring all area educators (administrators, faculty, staff, and board members).

As a former public school teacher, I deeply appreciate the commitment of all educators ... public, private, and home. I respect the choice of all parents to decide the best way to educate their children. My wife (a math teacher) and I decided long ago to ask the public schools to help us teach our children the secular “3 R’s” (readin’, writin’, and ‘rithmetic) and our church to help us teach them the sacred “3 R’s” (reverence for God, respect for others, and reward for so doing). If you are a parent, I hope whatever choice you make about educating your children includes a local church. If you are an educator, I hope that you, too, are involved in a church. If you are a student, see the third to the last paragraph below. (You remember “paragraphs” from English class, don’t you?)

A special note to all area educators: Our “party” on August 24 is but one way for us to say, “Thank you.” I hope you can attend. We’ll have door prizes from area merchants, finger foods, and a special gift for those who RSVP me by my cell phone at 501-842-4933. Look for a special invitation from our church in your mailbox soon.

A special note to all students: Our church has activities for children and teens every Sunday at 5:45 and every Wednesday at 6:30. If you don’t go to church anywhere, come join us.

May our educators, our students, and all of us have a safe and successful school year.

This is just one pastor’s (and former school teacher’s) perspective.

No comments: